Photobucket Photobucket

August 3, 2010

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

This is the recipe I always go to when I need a super delicious salad that will feed a crowd.
When I take this to a potluck dinner or any event, I ALWAYS get requests for the recipe!
My family loves this salad, so I just cut the quantities in 1/2 for us...
 SPINACH SALAD WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING
1-16oz. bag fresh baby spinach leaves, cleaned
1 small head iceberg lettuce, cored and torn into bite size pieces
1 small red onion, thinly sliced, then slices cut in 1/2
6 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
1-8oz. package fresh mushrooms, sliced
12oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
Toss all the ingredients in a large salad bowl. Just before serving toss in the poppy seed dressing.

POPPY SEED DRESSING
3/4 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/3 tsp. yellow mustard
1/3 c. white vinegar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process on high for 1 minute.  Chill well.  Toss with salad.

(I love this dressing, but it really is best if it has chilled several hours or even overnight.  Just be sure to shae it up before pouring it over the salad.- I also change out the white vinegar for rice vinegar.  It adds a bit more of a "bite" to the dressing.)

No comments: