Photobucket Photobucket

September 9, 2010

Puffy Rice Balls

This fun and simple recipe dates back to my childhood.
It can not be simpler!
Be sure to make a double or triple batch because like rice krispie treats, these get snatched up fast!
*PUFFY RICE BALLS*
6 c. puffed rice cereal
1/2 c. butter
6 c. miniature marshmallows
 In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.  Add marshmallows, stir constantly until marshmallows have melted and are completely incorporated. (at this point I always add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, but the original recipe does not call for it)
Immediately stir in the puffed rice cereal until completely coated.
Form into balls, let set on waxed paper for about 15 min. Store in a covered container.
Helpful hint:  The mix is very hot when you start to form the balls.  Have a small glass of cool water on hand and dip your hands in it between balls.  This keeps your hands from burning, and also keeps the cereal mix from sticking to your hands! (see I told you this was helpful)
The recipe makes about 13 balls in the size you see above.

3 comments:

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

You are right, these get snatched up fast!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I tried a variation of the stuff I had in my cabinet... puffed millet, puffed kumut, marshmallows, butter, vanilla, milled flaxseed, hulled hemp seed, and trail mix. It came out really good and filling. I would of never thought of it without your post.

:-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nancy! I'm excited that you found inspiration from our recipe! You created a very interesting mix-I think I've only heard of the marshmallows, butter, and vanilla-JK, but I bet your mix was amazing. Thanks for sharing with us!
Amber