Photobucket Photobucket

December 27, 2010

Slow cooker Tamale Pie

This is a recipe that my family and I really like. It is pretty easy to put together, and it tastes great!

Slow cooker Tamale Pie
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can tomatoes with mild green chili's, undrained
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
2 green onions, chopped
1 c. shredded cheddar or Mexican style cheese
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Corn bread/muffin mix + ingredients to make it.

Combine the cooked ground beef with cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper. Place in the bottom of a 4-5 qt. crock pot.  Stir in the beans, tomatoes, enchilada sauce,and onions.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
In a small bowl, combine the muffin mix and required ingredients. Spoon over meat mixture, cover and cook 1 additional hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand about 5 minutes.
Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.



I have made this several times, but I use my recipe for cornbread in stead of the package mix.
It is more flavorful, and is a little larger in portion.
You can find my fast and simple cornbread recipe here.

Some helpful tips:
Whenever I buy fresh ground beef I cook up 2-3 lbs. with a diced onion and S&P.  I then bag each pound separately in freezer bags, and freeze them.  You can put the frozen, cooked beef back into a skillet, add about 1/4 c. of water and reheat quickly, or simply heat in the microwave.

I have also emitted the ground beef altogether and used red beans, kidney beans and black beans instead. I actually prefer this version, but my family likes the original one best.


                           We've linked up this recipe with a fun linky party:
                Fantastical Sharing of Recipes Twisted Thursdays ( 1-19-12)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, this looks great. I've been looking for some slow cooker things. This one will surely be a hit with all the family. Thanks.

Lisa said...

mmm! I'm not big on Mexican food, but this does sound good! I'd love to try it!

Unknown said...

I love this! Thanks so much for posting to CPW. I hope to see you back this week.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Janie said...

That looks really good - thanks for linking up on Twisted Thursday :)