Photobucket Photobucket

February 7, 2011

Ur Bakin' Me Crazy! A Spotlight and New Guest Post

I love blog hopping. Sometimes I dream about it. It can consume hours of my time yet I feel as if only a few moments have gone by.  I mean I REALLY love blog hopping. There is an endless universe of information, creativity, tutorials, inspirations and idea's.  And then I get to the food blogs...I'm obsessed.  Seriously.
I read cookbooks like they are novels, so I knew I was in serious trouble when I discovered FOOD BLOGS!  OMG!  I am in love!  I may need an intervention just to pull me away from licking my computer screen with all the awesome food pictures in blogger recipe world!
Enough about me (at least for the next 5 minutes)!
There are so many wonderful recipe blogs out in the blogosphere, that it's easy to miss some of the fabulous, quirky, cute, sweet, innovative, gourmet, and the simple food treasures, and I can't have that!!!
So I have a fun series that I am going to kick off today by "spotlighting" some of these blogs!
I have been following Urbakinmecrazyy.blogspot.com for a couple of weeks now, and I really think you should get to know Megan a little more!
She is a 15 year old (truly adorable) girl living in Darke County Ohio. Her blog is fairly new, but she has some fun posts to read, and more than 20 great recipes already posted!  I love the fact that this talented 15 year old young lady is inspiring others, including me, to be in charge of your own future, enjoy what you do, and create something you are passionate about! 
I've asked Megan to answer a few simple questions about herself so that we can all get better acquainted...

MEET MEGAN!


Where do you live?
Where do I live you ask? Well, I live outside of a dinky little “cornfield” town in Ohio. You know, one of those towns where everyone knows everyone. I absolutely love life in a small town. I enjoy life in the country, put me in the city and I’d feel out of place. 

What are your 2 favorite hobbies?
Well the most apparent hobby of mine would be baking, and cooking. Aside from that, that’s a really difficult thing for me to answer, I enjoy doing lots of things. Though, if I were to choose another hobby of mine I would have to say sports. I used to play volleyball and softball; however I began online schooling this year and am no longer able to play.

At what age did you start cooking?
I honestly don’t remember exactly when I began cooking although I’m sure I was just a tiny little squirt. My Mom and Grandmother have always had me in the kitchen helping them make something.

Are you the main cook in your family?
At this point in time, I do cook dinner most nights. Not because I have to, but because I want to. The nights I don’t cook, my mom does!
Tell us a little bit about your daily routine.
On a typical day, the first thing I do is make breakfast. While eating breakfast I check my emails, Facebook, and Blogger. Then comes school work, just like any other high schooler I too find school BORING!! Therefore, I cannot wait to get it done and over with. Around noon I eat lunch, then I try and find something to do with the rest of my day, this typically involves cooking or baking! Twice a week, typically Thursdays Fridays or Saturdays, I work from 5-9 at a local restaurant (Farmer Brown’s) making sandwiches, pizza, and ice-cream. I LOVE it! I love working, and being able to make my OWN! 

What is your favorite thing to cook, and your favorite thing to bake….
Yet another difficult question this is for me to answer, as I love making all sorts of things. My most favorite thing to cook would have to be Lasagna. I love assembling all the yummy layers of cheese, noodles, and meat sauce! As for baking, I love to bake cakes! SUPER tall layer cakes to be exact… I don’t get the opportunity to make cakes very often, but when I do I go all out.

When did you start blogging about your cooking?
I first started blogging about my cooking in November of 2010. Why...Probably because I have this obsession with reading food blogs and I wanted to have one of my own.
If you could only have 1 food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why? 
If I could have only one food for the rest of my life, it would be chicken. I love chicken, it’s so versatile. My favorite way to eat chicken is grilled with Weber’s Kickin’ Chicken Seasoning and Worcestershire sauce!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
This is something that I have never really thought about. In ten years I hope to see myself married, with children living on a small farm with horses, cows, pigs and chickens. I see myself having graduated college with a degree in Social work, specializing in Child and Family Services. My dream would be to own my own bakery. 

What is your favorite food ever?
My favorite food ever would have to be, chicken! Like I said before chicken is just delicious and there are so many different ways to prepare it. 

Here is a recipe Megan has made especially for Aunt Peg's follower's.  Does this look divine, or what?!
goeybuttercake.jpg
Pecan Gooey Butter Cake    
Makes Approx. 16 bars

For the base:
2 cup plus 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons butter, softened
2 egg
2 egg yolk
2 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoon vanilla
12 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed pecans

1. Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 11x7-inch pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar until well blended. 
3. Add in the butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
4. Turn the batter out into the pan and press it evenly into the pan. It will be quite thick.
5. In the same bowl beat together the cream cheese, corn syrup, vanilla, butter, brown sugar, salt, egg, and flour until smooth and lighter in color. Fold in the pecans.
6. Carefully spread the topping over the base and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and the edges are set, but the center is just a little wobbly. Cool completely in the pan. Slice, and enjoy.

Visit Megan's blog and become one of her followers. I promise you will never be sorry!

Photobucket
Thank you Meggs for sharing your corner of the world with us, we've really loved getting to know you!

5 comments:

URBakin'MeCrazyy said...

Amber,
I'm so in awe. I never thought someone would take the time to do something like this for my blog! :) I can NOT thank you enough! I love it.
Megan♥

Kate said...

What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing Megan and Amber. Spreading the pecan butter love.

Brandie@thecountrycook said...

I love to see teenagers getting in the kitchen and cooking. And you just can't go wrong with gooey butter cake. Yum. Way to go Megan!!
Great post Amber :)

singh from dominos india said...

That looks delicious! Its always good having a great recipe that everyone LOVES!

Mrs. Tuna said...

She looks amazing, I'm running right over.