Photobucket Photobucket

April 12, 2011

Black and Tan Mousse Truffles

Years ago my Great Aunt Edythe brought these candies to a party and it was love at first bite!
Wasn't she beautiful?
 I must warn you, start eating these and you will never be the same...
I have made exactly 1 change to the original recipe...
IT'S THAT PERFECT!

BLACK AND TAN MOUSSE TRUFFLES
2 (7 oz.) Hershey Chocolate candy bars (plain or almond)
3/4 c. semi sweet chocolate chips, optional  
(my 1 change to the original recipe)
1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
(I have found Cool Whip brand holds up the best in this recipe)
2 c. Vanilla Wafer cookies, finely crushed
(or 1 c. vanilla cookies and 1 c. Oreo cookies, finely crushed) 
I did not have the chocolate chips or Oreo cookies in this photo since they are not part of the original recipe.
Break the 2 candy bars into small pieces.  In the top of a double boiler melt the candy bars and chocolate chips over simmering water, stirring often until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
Remove the bowl or pan from the double boiler and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.  Fold in the frozen whipped topping, making sure it is well incorporated.
Sorry about the poor quality of this photo, my hands were shaking with anticipation-lol
Cover the truffle mix lightly with foil and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  Mix will become thick and kind of stiff. (I like to chill the candy overnight)

Place the crushed cookies into 2 separate shallow bowls or pie pans.
Drop the cold chocolate mix by teaspoonfuls into the cookie crumbs, roll around to coat well, then roll in your hands to form a smooth ball. Re-roll in the crumbs again if the candy needs a better coating. 
Place onto a baking tray that has been covered with a piece of wax paper.


Store in the refrigerator....if they last long enough to be stored!




9 comments:

Endy Daniel said...

Will prepare the ingredients n try it soon! ill try with different chocolate..

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

How easy are these? I'm drooling over them.

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

Anonymous said...

These look great! So simple, which is a plus. I found you at Sweets for a Saturday!

Hannah said...

These look fun and tasty! Also, thanks for visiting my blog!

Manni said...

these look so amazing and I bet they taste amazing:)
can't wait to try these out!
Manni

Erin said...

Oh my! These sound so good!!!

Unknown said...

Yum! These look fantastic! I'm hosting a link party and would love you to pop in and link up a recipe or two sometime. Also, I'm your newest follower and wanted to say hello.

http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

Believe it or not, I have never made truffles. They are so easy! Mangoes and Chutney's Fat Camp Friday is now open Friday at midnight (EST)! I would love if you stopped by and linked up this recipe!
http://mangoesandchutney.com/2011/08/fat-camp-friday-39-brown-sugar-bacon-jalapenos.html

Ali said...

I've actually had these bookmarked for some time and I keep meaning to make them. :) I'm so glad to see that you linked up this week! Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back next week!