Photobucket Photobucket

December 30, 2012

GEORGIA - Fruitcake Cookies

Hmmmm.  First off, I need to explain that I didn't like this cookie at all, but only because I don't like fruitcake.  However the cookies did receive a thumbs up vote from all those I shared them with that do like fruitcake. Obviously I'm not an impartial judge of this cookie, so we will go with the positive response from others.

This cookie recipe belongs to Our Cookie Nation series.  I've been going alphabetically through the States, but waited for this one until the Christmas Holidays rolled around.



FRUITCAKE COOKIES
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 lb. golden raisins
1/2 lb. red candied cherries
1/2 lb. red candied pineapple
1/2 lb. green candied cherries
1/2 lb. green candied pineapple
2 Tbsp. milk
1 c. bourbon
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 1/2 c. flour
1 lb. walnut halves
1 lb. pecan halves

In a medium bowl, dredge the candied fruit and raisins in 1 cup flour.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter.  Beat in the eggs, and gradually beat in the bourbon and milk.  Mix in remaining flour and spices.  Stir in the fruits and nuts as well as the remaining flour they are in. 
Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for approximately remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.



I did a few slightly different things with this recipe; I cut the size of the recipe in half.  I used 1 lb. of mixed, chopped candied fruit that I found at the store, and I omitted the walnuts, using just 1 c. of chopped pecans instead.

The original post at AllRecipe.com from Mary Lou states that the cookies can be stored indefinitely in the fridge, or stored in a tin after baking. She also mentioned that they are even better after several days, and she recommends making these a week or two before Christmas. 



Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fruitcake cookies
Do not not use any baking powder or soda? How long do you bake them for?